Holocaust survivor asks German president, Where did the Nazi evil come from?

Esther Cohen Holocaust survivorBy Stavros Tzimas

Esther Cohen was not looking forward to this day – Friday, March 7 – when she was to meet German President Joachim Gauck. She knew that there would be nothing pleasant about the encounter. Because Esther, aged 90 and known as Stella in Greek, is one of two Jews still alive in Ioannina from the few who survived the Holocaust and made it back from Auschwitz. It was the German president who requested that they meet during his three-day official visit to Greece.

I wondered when I visited Esther at her home ahead of the visit how anyone can prepare for such an encounter, be ready to relive a nightmare that may, by now. be safely pushed back into the darkest recesses of memory.

I feel strange, shaken. I want to ask him where such hate came from, to burn alive millions of people because it just so happened that they were of a different religion,” she said.

“Should I accept an apology? What they did to us cannot be forgiven. I have no one to see me off when I do die. They left no one; everyone was burned,” she added.

Her story leaves me feeling sick to my stomach. Her vitriol is not just reserved for the Nazis but also for her Christian compatriots: “When they were pulling us out of our homes and dragging us through the streets so they could send us to Germany, not a single neighbor even peeked through the curtains to see what was going on.”

It was the early hours of March 25, 1944. In a well-planned dawn raid orchestrated with the help of collaborationists in the Greek police, the Gestapo swept through the Jewish quarter of Ioannina, a town on Greece’s northwestern border region of Epirus, piling 1,725 men, women and children onto trucks.

Only a handful managed to get away and flee into the mountains, where they joined the guerrillas, among them the man Esther was to later marry. The rest, among which 17-year-old Esther, her parents and her six siblings, were sent on the road with no return, to the crematoriums. Less than 50 came back alive.

The last time I saw my parents was at the railway platform in Auschwitz where we were separated. I remember that as they were driven away in the back of a truck, one of them shouted out to me and my sister: ‘Girls, defend your honor.’ One day when we were being shaved by one of the prisoners she asked me what had become of my parents. I said that I didn’t know. She pointed to the flames coming out of the crematorium and said: ‘there they are, burning.’”

Esther’s escape was a matter of pure luck. She was in the infirmary and was hidden by a German doctor with Jewish roots and the nurses when the SS officers took everyone from her ward and marched them to the crematorium. After the concentration camp was liberated following the defeat of Hitler she learned that the only other member of her family to have survived was her sister. Everyone else had been exterminated. When she returned to Ioannina, she went straight to her house, where she received the second big blow.

“I knocked on the door and a stranger opened it,” she reminisced. “He asked me what I wanted and told him that this was my house. ‘Do you remember whether there was an oven here,’ he asked me. ‘Why yes, of course, we used to bake bread and beautiful pies,’ I replied. ‘Well get out of here then. You may have got away from the ovens in Germany, but I’ll cook you right here in your own home.’ I was horrified.”

Esther tried to rebuild a life for herself. She married Samuel, who had survived the war in the mountains. She then tried to locate family heirlooms and useful tools and objects she remembered having at home in order to survive.

“I found out that the metropolitan bishop had our two Singer sewing machines. I went and asked for them to be returned to me, but I was told that they had been given to the prefecture. There, they asked me to produce the serial numbers of the machines before they would look for them. They were obviously trying to brush me off,” said Esther. “I raised my arm and showed them the indelible number from Auschwitz. ‘This is the only number I remember,’ I told them and left.”

Esther managed to get back on her feet in what can only be described as a hostile environment.

It was one day in the late 1960s. A theology professor at the local high school called my daughter [also a teacher] a ‘damn Jew’ because he saw her walking with me in the street past the 9 p.m. curfew. She never got over the insult. As soon as she finished the year she moved to Israel. She has never come back,” said Esther.

“You didn’t say a word for so many years. Why?” I asked her.

“Because we were scared. We were unloved by everyone. Don’t you understand?” she asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

Source: Ekathimerini

Pin It

  • Chevalier

    Poor woman. I hope that her story gets published in the Greek media.